Welcome to Handball News



For all the latest news from British Handball plus news feeds from Handball Sites and Blogs around the world.

If you have a story for Handball News, please mail it to newsdesk@snowdons.co.uk or call 07866004382

Monday, February 25, 2008

HANDING THE GIRLS A CHANCE

Following on from the successful Boys Handball Talent ID session at Newham Leisure Centre, it was the turn of the girls to display their Handball skills for the Newham Council and Leyton Orient Community Sports Programme (LOCSP) 'Handball Talent ID' programme.

 

Over 40 Year 9, 10 & 11 hand-picked girls from Lister Community School, Plashet Girls Secondary School, Little Ilford School, Cumberland School and Eastlea School had the rule run over them in the hope of being accepted into the Newham Sports Academy.

 

The Newham Sports Academy was launched in October 2006 and aims to give local young people the opportunity to reach their full sporting potential in time to compete - and hopefully win medals - at the 2012 Games.

 

The night included a warm-up, ball skills and a match with GB Women's Handball Performance Coach Vigdis Holmeset ending the nights' proceedings with a talk to those in attendance.

 

For Plashet Girls Secondary School student Sajarob, the night was great fun and offers an alternative to the usual sports found in a PE lesson.

 

"I have been playing Handball for four years now and really enjoy the shooting, running around and bouncing the ball," she explained.

 

"I also play cricket, netball, basketball and football but I want to concentrate on Handball as those other sports can be quite similar and Handball is more enjoyable -  we need more girls playing Handball."

 

Fellow Plashet Girls Secondary School students were equally enthused.

 

"I enjoy Handball at school and I am here tonight as I would like to go a bit further," explained Busha.

 

"The highlights for me tonight have been being hit by the ball twice – once in my face and once all over!"

 

"It's alright," said Kalima. "I really enjoy it, but am bruised everywhere. I like everything about it and am here because I love this kind of sport."

 

Riswanar said: "My friends all begged me to come and I am really enjoying it. It's a really active game, you never stop.  In Tennis you just use your hands but this sport you are using everything all the time – it's dynamic."

 

Itza from Lister Community School backed up the Plashet Students thoughts.  "I have been playing for one year; love the game and love playing it with my friends.  I don't think I am any good, but my friends do!"

 

For Miriam Pupalova, Handball Development Officer, the night was another success with the GB coach in attendance.

 

"Vigdis was there for the whole session," she explained animatedly.

 

"She was very pleased with how Handball is developing here.  The attendance was great and there were about 5-6 girls who she is interested in.

 

"She was really enthusiastic about the Talent ID sessions and will be coming again to see the progress of the group."

 

For further information please contact Miriam Pupalova at LOCSP on 020 8556 5973 or email enquiries@locsp.org
 
Text: Leyton Orient Community Sports Programme

No comments: