Welcome to Handball News



For all the latest news from British Handball plus news feeds from Handball Sites and Blogs around the world.

If you have a story for Handball News, please mail it to newsdesk@snowdons.co.uk or call 07866004382

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Williams Winning Fitness Battle


INJURED GB Men’s team captain Ciaran Williams could be back in action in five weeks - but only after a gruelling rehabilitation programme at the Olympic Medical Institute at Bisham Abbey.

A fractured metatarsal left the 22-year-old from Bury on the sidelines, but he began his rehab last week and, after a course of treatment which could include ultrasound and injections, he is on the road to recovery.

And once he is back fit, he could be in line for a move to Hungary, where he could find more regular handball than he was getting with BSV in Denmark before his injury.

“It is one of the top five leagues in Europe and I do not think my Danish club will hold me back from playing at a higher level,” he said.

“I am still young and I wasn’t getting much playing time. I needed to find somewhere that I could get more court time to develop my game.”

Williams has also had interest from clubs in Norway, but he added: “After I’m back fit, the likelihood then is that I will go to Hungary if the offer is still there when I have recovered.

“It has been quite a drastic time of change over the last year but I have always had belief in my ability that I was going to make it. There is a long way to go but I want to play in the Olympics. I think I’m on the right path and this year has helped a lot.”


Text: Portions by Joe Boyle, Rossendale Free Press.

No comments: